Installing from source & packagingPosted: October 5, 2008
To do the practice for lab work of ‘Installation from source’ & Packaging I have down loaded the source tar ball for supertuxkart, a linux game.
I have went through the experience of how to install the software from source & how to packaging it as well. i have done this in two phases. step are given below. Hope fully my blog post for this experience will help.
Installation from source:
1. Down loaded the tar file from sourceforge.net
2. Extract the source file with #tar xvf <tar.gz file.name>
3 ./configure (this step require some addition dependencies.including the free-glut-devel at the time of “make’ .
5. make install
its running well
Screen short from Supertuxkart Linux game
1: rpmdev-setup tree
2. copy the source tarball in to ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES dir
3. cd ~/rpmbulid/SPECS
4. rpmdev-newspecs supertuxkart-0.4
5. vi supertuxkart-0.4.spec edit spec file (name & version column are very important should be same as original source tar ball)
6. rpmbuild -ba supertuxkart-0.4.spec (this step give an error message )
RPM build errors: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found: /usr/bin/supertuxkart /usr/share/applications/supertuxkart.desktop
this problem get solved by making entry for each directory in the spec file under %files section e.g.
for error for "/usr/share/applications/supertuxkart.desktop" i made an entry in "spec" file under %files /usr/share/applications then aagin "rpmbuild -ba supertuxkart-0.4.spec" every thing went fine & successful supertuxkart-RPMS and -SRPMS References: 1. Class notes SPR720 (prof Chris Tyler) 2. On line help on IRC #seneca by prof. Chris Tyler 3. Thanks to prof. Chris Tyler for his time for me to help even at weekend.